Episode 79 - Ryan Holiday on Stoicism and Character Building
Listen to this Episode
- Thank you to Chris Odell from Datsusara! If you are interested in computer bags, backpacks, gi, and other hemp products www.dsgear.com. Use the code "daniele" at checkout for a discount (here's the awesome Datsusara animation of a Drunken Taoist episode by Paul Klawiter: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwQcEm6cioM
- Thank you to Aubrey Marcus from Onnit! If you are in the market for supplements, workout gear, or great foods, use our own podcast link for a discount with Onnit by going to www.onnit.com/taoist.
- Thank you to Bennett Grunber from Sure Design T-Shirts! Use the code "warrior" for a discount on the great t-shirts at suredesigntshirts.com.
- if you shop on Amazon, please use our link on the donate page of this site. OR this one: http://amzn.to/10N96md.
- DRUNKEN TAOIST T-SHIRTS FEATURING IKKYU SOJUN!!!!! PRE-ORDER YOURS NOW!!!!! Straight from Bolelli's perverted brain, through the artistic hand of Savannah Em, here are the new Drunken Taoist t-shirts: http://www.danielebolelli.com/drunken-taoist-podcast-t-shirts-pre-order/. Thank you to the epic Savannah Em for the art and to Bennett Grunberg from Sure Design for his support with this. For any questions, email me at email@example.com.
- My mom's book about James Weddell (see episode 30) If you are interested, check it out here: http://amzn.to/N2Logr.
- If you are in dire need of chocolate, audiobooks or awesome t-shirts, check our affiliates:
- Daisy House released their album. Check them out here: daisyhouse.bandcamp.com.
- Daniele's books: NEW BOOK JUST RELEASED! "NOT AFRAID" If you click on any of the covers at this site www.danielebolelli.com, it'll take you straight to the Amazon page. AN AUDIOBOOK VERSION OF "NOT AFRAID" WILL BE RELEASED SOON
- Checkout StrainPrinted.com for great cannabis strain t-shirts. Enter the promo code "HISTORYONFIRE" at checkout for a 15% discount!
- PLEASE CHECK OUT THE PROJECT FOR A MODERN SOCIAL CENTER (Floatation Tanks, Martial Arts and Yoga Classes, A Venue for Live Podcasting, and much more): Let's CREATE a Modern Social Center
- THE TAOIST LECTURE SERIES IS HERE!!!!!! Get yours here: danielebolelli.com/downloads/taoist-lectures
- Interested in Martial Arts? Check out Daniele's instructional on leglocks: https://leglocks.vhx.tv
- If you are interested in kiva.org, please contact Rich: firstname.lastname@example.org
And please check out my public Facebook page
News:DANIELE's HISTORICAL PODCAST IS HERE! Please subscribe: www.historyonfirepodcast.com
- A microphone strapped to the back of a running goat
- Drop out with a plan
- School is a great default option
- The Obstacle Is the Way
- Philosophy as Practice
- Academics spoil good philosophy
- Thoreau on philosophy's purpose being to solve the practical problems of life
- Cheap popularizers stealing classical philosophy to sell self-help books
- Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. Why philosophy? "So, I can have deep thoughts about being unemployed"
- Nietzsche and academics (from On the Warrior's Path)
- The importance of a good translation
- The essence of Stoicism
- We don't control the world around us. We control how we respond to it
- Stoicism is about character building
- Stoicism is not The Secret. It's not about magically wishing things to be different than they are.
- Brutally pragmatic realism
- Complaining and whining is not going to make things easier
- Stoicism and Epicureanism as yin and yang
- The Stoicism of Ikkyu Sojun
- Cynic philosophy
- Diogenes was hilarious but just a tad over the edge
- Stoicism in the Hagakure
- Stoicism is not simply something you think. It's something you do
- Sweeping the room
- Ryan's mentor, Robert Greene
- In martial arts, the least athletic guys need to have the best technique
- Robert E. Howard: a master class in Stoicism
- Visualizing the worst case scenario vs. nocebo
- When ambition stops being a motivating force and it becomes an obsession
- Theodore Roosevelt and the limits of willpower
- The publishing business is inherently conservative
- Ryan's goats
- Life is short. Do ridiculous things