Episode 7 - In the Zone with Mike V
Listen to this Episode
Today’s guest is Mike V. Telling you that he is a musician and a legend of skateboarding doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface of who is, for Mike V is bigger and weirder than any label we can attach to him.
Among the highlights of the day:
- Don't offend Bulgarians
- Last call for pre-orders on The Drunken Taoist t-shirts http://www.danielebolelli.com/drunken-taoist-podcast-t-shirts-pre-order/
- Please check out our affiliate’s audio books at http://www.audibletrial.com/thedrunkentaoist
- I speak fast 'cause I really have to pee
- After searching long and hard, we have finally found someone who enjoys the word "fuckin'" more than I do
- How a Black Flag concert changed his life: "if I was flipping fuckin' burgers, I was going to do it the way Black Flag would do it"
- Skateboarding as the vehicle for a passion beyond words
- "I'd rather err on the side of passion" (but Daniele can't pronounce the word "err")
- About breaking bones
- Crabs in a pot: people love it when heroes fuck up
- "Fuck yeah I'm over the hill, but at least I've climbed the motherfuckin' hill"
- "I've been nailed to the cross so many fuckin' times. Don't fuck with me"
- Comparing the crucifixion scene in Conan (1982) and in Spartacus (1960)
- "Age is not a reason to fuckin' trade in everything that made you who you are"
- "When they fuckin' shovel the dirt on me, that's when I'll be done fuckin' skating"
- "Try being a skateboarder in 1984… I became a living, breathing, moving target"
- "My first interaction ever with a cop was him beating my ass—for no reason"
- Tao and Zen: it's an attitude toward life, not a profession of belief
- About Zen masters who don't know they are zen masters
- The difference between paradox and contradiction
- Love and strength: why Mike picked the elephant as a logo. "…beautiful, majestic creature, very social and very loving, kindest, gentlest heart but it will fuckin' crush you. Don't fuck with it. It will crush you. Eat a fuckin' lion for lunch"
- "To me, that's life. Why would you want anything less than that?"
- "I didn't start skateboarding to fuckin' follow the rules"
- Why Mike has a pink sheep tattoo
- The trap of embracing an identity—any identity
- People are terrified of freedom
- Happy birthday to Emily Vallely
- "I'm glad you are a nerd"
Mike’s twitter: @mikevallely