Episode 53 - Robert Subiaga about Conan: "Let me live deep while I live"
Listen to this Episode
- "Fuck pain. Fuck heartbreak. I'm still in love with life"
- Thank you to our sponsors, Chris O'Dell from Datsusara, and Aubrey Marcus from Onnit. If you are interested in computer bags, backpacks, gi, and other hemp products www.dsgear.com. Use the code "daniele" at checkout for a discount.
- Also, here's the awesome Datsusara animation of a Drunken Taoist episode by Paul Klawiter: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwQcEm6cioM.
- If you are in the market for supplements, workout gear, or great foods, use our own podcast link for a discount with Onnit by going to www.onnit.com/taoist.
- Use the code "warrior" for a discount on the great t-shirts at suredesigntshirts.com.
- NEW DRUNKEN TAOIST T-SHIRTS!!!!! Straight from Bolelli's perverted brain, through the artistic hand of Savannah Em, here are the new Drunken Taoist t-shirts: http://www.danielebolelli.com/drunken-taoist-podcast-t-shirts-pre-order/. If you thought our previous t-shirt was risky, you haven't seen anything yet. In addition to our traditional Drunken Taoist logo t-shirt, which are always in stock and ready to ship, we are now taking pre-orders for the new design. See if you can spot yours truly, Iz, Duncan Trussell, Friedrich Nietzsche, Ikkyu Sojun, Tom Robbins, Shiva and Ganesh, Dionysus and Pan, Rich Evirs, Savannah Em, Buddha (or, what's left of him) in the midst of the Dionysian revelries taking place in the forest. Thank you to the epic Savannah Em for the art and to Bennett Grunberg from Sure Design for his support with this. For any questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- My mom just published a book about James Weddell (see episode 30) If you are interested, check it out here: http://amzn.to/N2Logr.
- If you are in dire need of chocolate, audiobooks or awesome t-shirts, check our affiliates:
- Daisy House released their album. Check them out here: daisyhouse.bandcamp.com.
- MY NEW BOOK IS IN STORES!!!!!! It's entitled "Create Your Own Religion" and features endorsements by Joe Rogan, Mike Vallely, Ben Harper, Shannon Lee and Tom Robbins. If you click on the cover at this site www.danielebolelli.com, it'll take you straight to the Amazon page.
- THE TAOIST LECTURE SERIES IS HERE!!!!!! Get yours here: danielebolelli.com/downloads/taoist-lectures
- If you are interested in kiva.org, please contact Rich: email@example.com
If you have a moment, please do us a solid and fill out our listener survey. This will help us learn more about how you listen to the show and will ultimately help us create a better podcast. http://thedrunkentaoist.com/survey
And please check out my public Facebook page
- Conan as a literary and cinematic character
- How Robert can be into Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Robert E. Howard at the same time
- Manly romanticism
- Robert E. Howard's over-sized sensitivity
- Writing with a barbarian with an ax watching over your shoulder
- Savannah... the Buddha with the D cups, my own personal Zen master, the moon goddess, the chocolate Robin Hood, Nutella-flavored love, the Macgyver of weed
- I'll try not to kiss Robert or Rich
- Quoting Queen of the Black Coast
- Conan as an existential philosopher
- Quoting Conan in "Create Your Own Religion" when discussing the existence of God
- "Let me live deep while I live"
- "I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content"
- Nietzsche with a surfboard... the next step in human evolution
- The relationship between Howard's Conan and Milius' Conan
- Conan's crucifixion and the vulture
- "I am not dead yet, motherfucker. And until I'm done... watch out"
- Grab your crotch, a sword and a jug of red wine and face destiny
- Everything I know about love I have learned from Conan:
"There is life beyond death, I know, and I know this, too, Conan of Cimmeria"—she rose lithely to her knees and caught him in a pantherish embrace-"my love is stronger than any death! I have lain in your arms, panting with the violence of our love; you have held and crushed and conquered me, drawing my soul to your lips with the fierceness of your bruising kisses. My heart is welded to your heart, my soul is part of your soul! Were I still in death and you fighting for life, I would come back to the abyss to aid you-aye, whether my spirit floated with the purple sails on the crystal sea of paradise, or writhed in the molten flames of hell! I am yours, and all the gods and all their eternities shall not sever us!"
- Love... "A naked elemental thing of raw fire and molten lava"
- Battle as the only thing that can silence the pain
- "You cannot escape me!" he roared. "Lead me into a trap and I'll pile the heads of your kinsmen at your feet! Hide from me and I'll tear apart the mountains to find you! I'll follow you to hell!"
- Even among your own people, you don't fit
- Stoicism, the Nietzschean eternal return
- Racism in Howard's writings
- The misguided characterization of heroic fantasy as fascism. Why Nietzsche wasn't a Nazi